The JJJ&E Logo

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Digitrax DS-52 Module Can Control Two Kato Double Crossovers




In the spring of 2009, when I started to lay the Unitrack for the 'New" JJJ&E, I called Digitrax concerning the use of a Digitrax DS51k1 with the Kato double crossover. Previously on the "Original" JJJ&E I used Lenx Ls-100 stationary decoders to activate the Kato Unitrack double crossovers. I was told by a technician that wiring the double crossover (four individual switches wired to work as one unit) would cause the DS51k1 to fail due to overload from the four individual switches in the double crossover. This does happen, as other modelers tried wiring a Digitrax DS51k1 to the Unitrack Double Crossover.

He also told me that the DS-52 and DS-64 wouldn't support the double crossover either. My best selection would be a Lenz Ls-100 stationary decoder ( Accessory Module) for DCC control or a blue Kato Switch Controller for standard control of the double crossover using a 12v power supply.

Looking into my decoder boxes that I still had packed away, I did happen to find four DS-52's that I purchased years ago and never used on the "Original" JJJ&E as my four double crossovers were powered by Lenz Ls-100 stationary decoders.

I wired up a DS-52 this evening to two double crossovers and programmed them into the command station of my Lenz 100 system. Both double crossovers functioned beautifully, contrary to the advice of the technician I spoke to at Digitrax.

At a later date, I wired two Kato Double Crossovers and two Switches/Turnouts to a Digitrax DS-64. The Digitrax DS -64 worked beautifully with two Kato Unitrack Double Crossovers.

This isn't the first time I was given inaccurate information at Digitrax. The other situation occurred years ago with their DN163A0 decoder for Atlas diesels. The decoder never could be programmed properly when seated on the frame of many an Atlas diesel. You had to hard wire the motor contacts of the diesels to the underside of the decoder to get it functioning correctly.

Other companies came out with decoders that worked properly for these Atlas diesels (TCS and NCE).

To make a long story short Digitrax redesigned the DN163A0 many years after the fact and now that decoder performs adequately with Atlas diesels.

So, if you're going to use DCC, you now have three choices to program your Kato double crossovers; the Lenz LS-150, the Digitrax DS-52 and the Digitrax DS-64 ( See Photo's # 1, # 2 & # 3 ).

I hope this clarifies the mystery of programming the Kato double crossover to operate with DCC control.

Photo  # 1 Lenz LS-150
Photo  # 2 Digitrax DS-52 Can Control Two Kato Unitrack Double Crossovers

Photo  # 3  Digitrax DS-64 Can Control Four Kato Double Crossovers or Two Switches/Turnouts and Two Kato Double Crossovers or Three Switches/Turnouts and One Kato Double Crossovers or One Switch/Turnout and Three Kato Double Crossovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment