The JJJ&E Logo

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Metal Wheel Sets In N Scale

                           
I first reviewed the N scale Atlas metal 33" wheel sets on the Atlas Forum in late May 2004 and then on Train Board in December 2004. I also reviewed the N scale metal wheel sets on The WhistlePost Forum in 2010

Since my initial reviews in both forums in 2004, I've changed the wheel sets on over 900 freight cars.

I decided to change to metal wheel sets for the following reasons:

I am using DCC and need metal wheel sets, for block occupancy detection, feedback, reverse loops and signaling. I also wanted a product that would add some weight to the trucks for better tracking and increased rollability of the rolling stock.

I also become increasingly unhappy with the Micro-Train pizza cutters and lo-profile wheels. The plastic wheels easily pick pick up more grime from the track than do metal wheel sets.

I also like the sound of metal wheels on the track. To me it is a soothing sound and reminiscent of my earlier days with HO and O Scale layouts.

Here are my observations:

The metal wheel sets provide all the above criteria I mentioned for DCC and signaling.
For those of you who don't use DCC, the metal wheel sets provide increased weight in the truck area providing a better center of gravity and much improved tracking for the rolling stock.

The wheel sets also give you increased performance of each piece of rolling stock, which in turn increases the performance of locomotives on average by 15%. There is less friction on the track rails using the metal wheel sets. The % of increased performance of locomotives will vary from layout to layout.

The wheel sets that I tested ran true on all configurations of code 80 Unitrack. The wheel sets were tested on the long ascending and descending 2% grades of the "original" JJJ&E with no derailments. The JJJ&E had #6 and #4 turnouts as well as double crossovers and 30 degree crossovers. The radii ranged from 13 3/4 to 19 inches. Kato Unitrack is code 80 rail.

There is a clickity-clack sound of the wheel sets a train moves along the track. Some might object to the sound of the wheels on the track, but I don't run the JJJ&E in silence. I also use sound decoders for steam and diesel sounds, but that is an entirely different topic.

There were no irregularities in the gauge of any of the Atlas wheel sets tested. The wheel sets must be properly engaged in the truck to prevent any irregularities in gauge. This is most important because if the wheels are improperly set in the truck, derailments will occur. Some N scale modelers have noticed a discrepancy in the wheel gauge of the Atlas 33" metal wheel sets. On over 500 cars.I didn't have problems with this on any of the wheel sets used. I must have been lucky in the run of wheel sets I received when I purchased lots on three separate occasions.

The metal wheel sets will definitely increase the pulling power of most locomotives by about 15% on average. This includes both diesels and steam locomotives. However, this percentage might vary for each user.

The metal wheel set can be weathered nicely using burnt umber, burnt sienna, grimy black and dust.

After over eight years of using Atlas 33" metal wheel sets, I think I made a good choice. Most of the 33" metal wheel sets were used for MT trucks. You can also get Atlas 33" metal wheel sets for Atlas and Intermountain cars. One must be careful when ordering the metal wheel sets, as they must be installed on the correct trucks.

Since the initial review, Intermountain and Fox Valley Models have also released metal wheel sets for N scale equipment.

I haven't used any of the Intermountain metal wheel sets to date and I can't comment on the Intermountain product.

Since Fox Valley Models came out with metal wheel sets over three years ago, I started to use the FVM metal wheel sets on any new rolling stock on the "original" JJJ&E and the "new" JJJ&E which has 30 inch radii and 23-24 inch radii. The FVM wheel sets look more prototypically correct than the Atlas metal wheel sets. I've converted about 400 freight cars using FVM metal wheel sets for MT trucks, Atlas Trucks and Intermountain trucks.

Fox Valley Model metal wheel sets come in three axle lengths; 0.540" axle, 0.553" axle and 0.56" axle.

The 0.540"axle is used on Micro Train trucks.

The 0.553" axle is used on Atlas trucks.

The 0.56" axle is used on some Atlas, Con-Cor and Bachmann trucks.

The FVM wheel sets come in 33" and 36" sizes.

I am using the Atlas 33" metal wheel sets and FVM metal wheel sets on the "new" JJJ&E with radii of 23", 25" 28" and 30". All the metal wheel sets perform flawlessly on the larger radii.

Give metal wheel sets a try. They are much better than the plastic wheel sets that come with most if not all of the N scale rolling stock purchased today.





                                       

  



No comments:

Post a Comment