The JJJ&E Logo

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Building A Retaining Wall In The Corner Of Your Layout On Your Work Bench


Building A Retaining Wall In The Corner Of Your Layout On Your Work Bench


In the corner of one part of my layout, I decided to build a retaining wall. Since my bench work is 30 inches wide on each side of the corner of the "new" JJJ&E, reaching into the corner required standing on a small step stool and reach across to that area which was a 46 inch reach to say the least.

Then I had a brain storm. Build the retaining wall on my work bench, completely scenick the top of the retaining wall area and then cement the finished wall to the place in the far left corner of the layout.

What I did first was to cut out a quarter section of one inch pink foam and shape it to fit the corner of the layout room. Once I tested the fit of the foam and was satisfied with the results, I proceeded to build the retain wall with Woodland Scenics N scale stone plaster retaining wall sections. I cemented these plaster retaining wall sections to the foam shape that I cut for the top of the wall. I used Ailene's Sticky white glue to hold the plaster retaining wall sections to the foam support. To this date the glue has held in place (almost eight years). I then fitted the retaining wall and foam support in place in the left corner of the layout.

Now, it was time to color the retaining wall sections with earth coloring. I first used ochre, some very diluted grimy black and burnt sienna and burnt umber to color the random stones of the retaining wall. I then placed some finished oil wheel kits, shrubbery, trees and figures to complete the scene.

Below are some finished photo's of the retaining wall in place on the left corner of the layout behind the Marino.
diesel service yard and adjacent to the mainline tracks entering the Switching Yard from San

This retaining wall is easy to build on your work bench, than trying to build it in place in a far corner of a layout.  Have fun with it.









1 comment: