The JJJ&E Logo

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What Height Should You Make Your Bench Work For Your Unitrack Layout?

What Height Should You Make Your Bench Work For Your Layout?

The height of bench work for a layout depends on several factors. One important point to consider is your own height and reach. If you area a very tall person, bench work 44 -48 inches high probably won't be adequate for you. A shorter person will have trouble with layout bench work over 50 inches high.

So where do we compromise to get bench work height that is acceptable. The viewing angle is also very important. I am 6' 2 inches tall and am building bench work for the "new" JJJ&E that is 52 inches high. This gives a nice heads on viewing area if I am seated on a chair at the edge of the bench work. I also like to take closeup photo's with my camera, so a heads on viewing angle is very important.

The frame of the bench work of the "new" JJJ&E is 48 3/4 inches high with a 3/4" plywood base. For plywood, I was able to get wood that was knot free. Four inches of pink foam covered the plywood base. This thickness of foam allows me to cut scenery below track level. If you decide to raise any part of your layout, this will increase the height of the viewable area. On the "New" JJJ&E part of the mainline will rise 3-4 inches above the lowest point of the mainline. Add some mountain scenery to this mix and you have track work and scenery that could reach over 60 inches high. This all has to be planned carefully when you design a layout.

You also have to be able to reach the furthest point of the bench work. I use a small two step ladder with a tray on top to hold supplies. This allows me to reach the 30 inch wide bench work plus the four foot turnaround areas with no problems. I happen to have a long reach so the four foot square areas aren't an issue.

If you can't reach the furthest part of your bench work easily, by all means don't build your bench work that wide. Access is important to work on scenery as well as being able to reach trains if there is an occasional derailment.

What are your thoughts about the height and depth of permanent bench work on a layout?

1 comment:

  1. I started with a 48" height (+ 3/4" [cookie-cutter] plywood) which was convenient and cost effective (just cut an 8' 2x3 into 2 legs). But I felt that it made the N gauge trains look too toy-like. (However it was convenient to watch the trains while sitting). So I added 6" to each leg (now 54" + 3/4") and the view is much more realistic. [I am 6'1"]. My layout is designed for operations (so no sitting; but I do have 30" "rest" stools) and the height worked well as long as I didn't place trees (or structures) where they would block the operators reaching in to throw the manual (Peco) turnouts.

    ReplyDelete